JESUS IS OUR MODEL  FOR THE MINISTRY

METHODIST CHURCH OF KENYA


KAAGA SYNOD

Methodist Church in Kenya was first planted by the European missionaries and African converts through voluntary services.

In the sixteenth and seventeen centuries there were a few Christian missions and enterprises at the coast before Dr. Krapf established a mission at Ribe from Scotland in 1844.

They were sent by the Church Missionary Society of Britain (CMS) although Dr. Krapf was a Lithesan from Germany.

Christianity was spread from there all over Kenya which is said to be 80% Christians of the mainstream churches.  Methodist is the forth church in terms of membership.

Rev. Nicholas Mutwiri Nteere  

Kaaga Synod Bishop

Bishop Nicholas Mutwiri Nteere




John Wesley


Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergymen or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon Earth.


Methodist Church in Kenya was founded in 1862 with a station at Ribe by missionaries who were sent by United Methodist free churches in Britain.

After mission work started at Ribe it spread to other parts of the coast where a number of mission centres were started namely Mazeras, Jomvu, Golbant and Lamu.

Methodist Gospel  reached Meru in 1912 where Kaaga operated as a mission and education centre.

A medical facility started at Kiegoi in 1928 and was moved to Maua in 1929.  Others mission churches and schools were opened all over the District of Meru until 1967 when Methodist church in Kenya became Autonomous in 1967 with the following Presiding Bishops:

1. Bishop Ronald Mung’ong’o  - 1968 -1970

2. Rev. Dr. Lawi Imathiu  - 1971 -1980

3. Rev. Johana Mbogori  - 1981 – 1984

4. Rev. Dr. Lawi Imathiu - 1985 – 1992

5. Rev. Prof. Zablon Nthamburi - 1993 -2002

6. Rev. Dr. Stephen Kanyaru M’Impwii – 2003 -2012

Before their period the church was lead by the missionaries and the following ministers became early leaders.

1. Rev. Philip M’Inoti

2. Rev. Stefano M’Ndengwa

3. Rev. Cornelio M’Mutiria

4. Rev. Johan Mbogori

5. Rev. Peter Amirahi

6. Rev. Lawi Imathiu

7. Rev. Justus M’Thimbu

8. Rev. Francis Mungania

9. Rev. Ibrahim Lithara

10. Wilfred M’Iteere

The Meru District Synod Treasurer was Mr. Gideon Mwobobia who steered the synod for a long time among other Africa converts who became Teachers in schools, medical professionals, administrations etc.

All other ministers and  leaders joined the ministry after the church obtained Autonomy  in 1967.


MERU DISTRICT SYNOD

Meru District Synod was steered by the following up to 1984 when the Synod spirit into three synods.    

The centre was at Kaaga until it moved to St. Pauls in 1979 lead by Bishop Peter Amiraki up to December 1983 when the lord called Him in his glory.

Rev. Dr.  Lawi Imathiu who was Presiding Bishop Elect took over the Meru District Synod in 1984 and prepared the start of the New Synods in 1985 namely MCK Kaaga Synod, MCK Nkubu Synod and MCK Nyambene Synod.


MCK KAAGA SYNOD 1985 TO 2013

MCK Kaaga Synod started its operations in January 1985 with the following circuits:

1.Kaaga, Chugu, ntakira, Kambereu, Buuri, Ruiri, Kibirichia, Mt. Kenya and Central Kenya mission.

Which was steered by the following:

1.  Bishop Samuel Mwiti  - 1985 - 1988

2. Bishop Jeremiah Anondo  – 1989 - 1996

3. Bishop Wilfred Kaburu -  1997 - 2004

4. Bishop William Muriuki  -  2005 - 2012

5. Bishop Catherine Mutua  - 2013-2021

6. Bishop Nicholas Mutwiri Nteere - 2021

Kaaga Synod has celebrated all the changes from Meru mission to Meru District circuit to Meru District Synod and finally to Kaaga Synod in the middle of Nkubu, Miathene and Nyambene synods where the headquarters was at Kaaga until 1979 when it moved to St. Paul’s. Equally since 1985 to-date Kaaga synod has expanded its circuits from nine in 1985 to twenty five in 2013 with the following development track.

1.  Bought the synod Headquarter from the conference at a cost of Kshs. 700,000 (1,200,000).

2. Refurbished the synod Headquarters.

3. Bought the synod Bishop’s vehicle to ease travel.

4. Refurbished the Synod Bishop manse.

5. The Synod Guest House with modern facilities is under construction.

6. Completed the 3rd floor of the Synod Headquarters that is now generating income.

7. Expansion of the mission and evangelism work in Central Kenya.

8. Started a Donor funded HIV/AIDS Project supporting more than 500 OVC’s and PLHAW’s with a vehicle to facilitate the programme.


Methodist Church in Kenya

Copyright © 2021 Methodist Church of Kenya Kaaga Synod             


Kaaga Synod HISTORICAL  BACKGROUND

The Methodist Church in Kenya currently is organized into ten synods covering  regions of the country. A  Methodist synod covers area   which is composed of the different Methodist Churches in that area and creates what is known as a circuit. A bishop heads a synod and under him are ministers who head the circuits.